There’s no denying it, it’s been a hot one this summer! The long days have been filled with sunshine, blue skies and enough humidity to make you melt.
The other day I climbed into my car and I swear it was hot enough to cook an egg. Last week I went for a 7km run and by the time I got home it looked like I had jumped in a lake. John has been consistently watering our grass (which has been looking pretty sad…) and I am positive the water evaporates before it even hits the ground!
Don’t get me wrong, I lurrrrve the heat, but this summer has been… dare I say… a little too hot!
There is upside to the heat though: cold treats! Oh yeah, bring on the popsicles, ice coffees, and frozen desserts! I’m telling you, nothing goes together like summer and a cold treat!
This summer I’ve been hooked on desserts with super decadent and indulgent flavours, like So Delicious‘s line of cashewmilk frozen desserts. With flavours like Salted Caramel Cluster, Dark Chocolate Truffle, and Chocolate Cookies N’ Cream how can you resist? They are rich, creamy and freakin’ dairy free! Can you believe that? Not to mention vegan, soy free, and gluten free. Who knew a simple little cashew could hit so many sweet spots?
While I could very well eat the Dark Chocolate Truffle straight from the pint container, I wanted to show you how easy it is to incorporate So Delicious cashewmilk frozen desserts into a delicious vegan treat.
Pairing So Delicious Salted Caramel Cluster with ripe grilled peaches was a no-brainer. Caramel and peaches go together like…. well, summer and cold treats. The Dark Chocolate Truffle was the flavour that caused my brain to explode. So. Many. Options! Shakes, sundaes, cakes, sandwiches! I finally settled on a crowd favourite: Individual Baked Alaska.
What I love about these two recipes is that they both use the same vanilla cake base, so you bake once and get two desserts. Gotta love double-duty!
This version of an old-fashioned dessert has a secret… it’s vegan, gluten-free, and delicious!
1¾ cups gluten free all purpose flour, sifted
1 cup evaporated cane sugar
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup So Delicious Original Coconut Milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp vinegar
1 pint So Delicious Dark Chocolate Truffle Cashewmilk Frozen Dessert
1 can chickpeas, drained, reserve water from can
1/4 cup evaporated cane sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
2. In a large bowl whisk together sifted flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
3. Add coconut milk, vanilla, olive oil and vinegar. Whisk until combined.
4. Pour batter into greased 9×13 cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
5. In a stand mixer add the reserved chickpea water (you can use the chickpeas for another recipe). Whip on high until stiff peaks start to form; this could take up to 8 minutes.
6. Gradually add the the sugar while continuing to whip. Stop once stiff peaks hold.
7. Using 3-4 inch round cookie cutter, cut four rounds from the cooled cake and place them on a plate. Place 1 large scoop of Dark Chocolate Truffle Cashewmilk Frozen Dessert on top of cake. Using a piping bag or offset spatula, cover the frozen dessert with the meringue. Using a small kitchen torch, brown the meringue (if desired).
8. Sprinkle with cocoa powder and serve immediately.
Warm grilled peaches are served alongside a gluten-free, vegan vanilla cake that is topped with a generous scoop of caramel cashewmilk frozen dessert!
4 rounds of vanilla cake (recipe above)
4 large ripe peaches, cut in half, pit removed
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 pint So Delicious Salted Caramel Cluster Cashewmilk Frozen Dessert
Maple syrup (optional)
1. Preheat BBQ to medium.
2. Using a brush, generously apply grapeseed oil to cut side of peaches.
3. Place peaches on hot BBQ. Grill for 5-6 minutes or until warmed and softened.
4. While peaches grill, use a 3-4 inch round cookie cutter to cut four rounds from the cooled cake (recipe above) and place them on a plate.
5. Place 1 large scoop of Salted Caramel Cluster Cashewmilk Frozen Dessert on top of cake. Place grilled peaches alongside. If desired garnish peaches with maple syrup. Serve immediately.
Interested in giving So Delicious Cashewmilk Frozen Desserts a try? Use their product finder to find a pint near you!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of So Delicious. The opinions and text are all mine.