Have you ever been the one to walk into a family gathering, backyard BBQ or ladies night sadly holding a store bought spinach dip and a loaf of pumpernickel bread (still in the bag)?
I’ve been this person FAR too many times this summer! And it’s been a tough go. I’m kind of the “foodie” of my group, so when they see me stroll in with a bag of pretzel chips and a container of store-bought caramelized onion hummus they laugh like it’s the punchline of a joke. “Ok. What did you really bring?” I’m now asked. And I know what they are looking for… a flavourful and hearty Gouda + Mushroom Beer Dip. A simple and fresh Shrimp with Avocado Spread. A sweet Grilled Peach + Berry Pavlova…. but my response has always been the same, “I just didn’t have time.”
With my busy schedule it’s been far to easy to run to the nearest grocery store and pick up prepared foods on the way to the party… but no more! I have three more gatherings scheduled this summer and I am vowing to bring a delicious homemade dish to every single one of them.
One dish that will surely make its way to my next family gathering is Greek Stuffed Tomatoes! This tried-tested-and-true recipe has been on repeat at my house the past few weeks as it uses less than ten ingredients, it’s super flavourful, and I can have a meatless dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes! Yeah, that’s what I call a #WeekdayWin!
And while I have been enjoying this dish for dinner, I know they would make an excellent side dish or appetizer. Hopefully, with this, I will be able to earn back my “foodie” title…
Whether you serve them alongside a fresh salad as a meatless weeknight meal or take them to a family gathering, these Greek stuffed tomatoes are easy to prepare thanks to Minute Rice’s Ready to Serve Cups.
8 fresh vine ripen tomatoes
2 Minute Rice Ready to Serve Cups – Long Grain & Wild Fine Herbs
1 jar (170 mL) marinated artichokes, chopped
1 medium green pepper, diced
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1 tbsp minced garlic
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive oil for drizzling (optional)
Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C.
2. Place two Minute Rice cups in the microwave. Microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remove.
3. In a large bowl stir together cooked rice, chopped artichokes, diced green pepper, crumbled feta, black olives, garlic and salt & pepper. Set aside.
4. Remove the stems from tomatoes. Using a knife, remove the core of the tomatoes. Scoop out seeds and any tough white core that may remain.
5. Scoop 2-3 spoonfuls of rice mixture into the cavity of the tomatoes. Place each tomato in a glass baking dish. Slowly drizzle each tomato with high quality olive oil.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tomatoes have softened.
7. Remove from oven and serve alongside a fresh summer salad or a piece of grilled meat. Garnish with a few basil leaves is desired.
Keywords: Stuffed Tomatoes, Greek Stuffed Tomatoes, Mediterranean Tomatoes, Rice Stuffing, Greek Rice Stuffing, Minute Rice Recipes