Crunchy leaves underfoot. Big potted mums at every entrance. Pumpkins lined up perfect on every front porch. Clearly it’s Fall. And while I am still getting used to the idea of this cold weather sticking around (and getting much, much colder), I am embracing the change in season and the many experiences it brings.
I mean, there is so much to do this Fall! My calendar is filled with family get-togethers, conferences, blogger outings, and meetings galore. And while I’m out hustling my buns off, there is nothing more I want than to come home some hot comfort foods and dense decadent desserts. These mini pumpkin & carrot loaves are just that. Rich, dense, decadence. They are casual enough for a night in with the family and fancy enough to join an elaborate Thanksgiving spread. But no matter the occasion, they are delicious.
Pumpkin & Carrot Bread with Saffron Cream Cheese Icing
These mini pumpkin and carrot loaves is what Fall is all about. The rich, dense bread is complemented perfectly by the light whipped icing, streaked with saffron. Perfect for any family Thanksgiving get-together.
Inspired by Food & Drink Magazine, Autumn 2009
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup finely grated carrot
1. Preheat oven to 350F. If using metal loaf pans, grease them. If using paper loaf pan, arrange on a flat baking tray.
2. In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars until smooth.
3. Add eggs one at a time, allowing time to beat well in between.
4. Stir in pumpkin, sour cream and vanilla.
5. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
6. Stir into pumpkin mixture. Once combined, stir in grated carrot.
7. Spoon into loaf pans and bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
8. Cool completely before icing.
Saffron Cream Cheese Icing
1 package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp saffron threads
1. In a stand mixer cream together cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla.
2. Heat saffron for 1 minute in the microwave. Crush in a mortar and pestle.
3. Add to icing and mix until blended. A subtle yellow hue will result.
4. Refrigerate until ready to use. Allow to come to room temperature before icing loaves.
Wishing all my Canadian friends a very happy Thanksgiving weekend!