You hear it all the time – “I hate brussels sprouts!” Which leads me to believe brussels sprouts are indeed the most hated vegetable… ever. Am I wrong? For most I think it’s an acquired taste, that said, I am not exactly sure when I started liking them. Maybe it was the first time I made them… they were slathered in butter and covered in crispy bit of bacon. Butter + bacon can make anything taste good. These however, are a much lighter version…
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
I prefer roasting brussels sprouts just until they are tender, caramelized, and fragrant. You don’t want to over-cook them as the flavour profile can change to bitter rather quickly.
1lb fresh brussels sprouts
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp light soy sauce
salt & pepper to taste
sprinkle of Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Wash and trim brussels sprouts, cut them in half if needed.
3. In a bowl mix sugar and soy sauce. Add brussels sprouts and toss just until coated.
4. Transfer to the paper lined baking tray. Make sure they are all in a single layer to ensure even roasting.
5. Place in oven for 35-40 minutes. Flip halfway through. Roast until soft and caramelized.
6. Sprinkle with salt and pepper + a bit of Parmesan cheese.
Brussels sprouts anyone?