Wow, did this week fly by fast. I guess time flies when you are having fun, right? And why wouldn’t we be having fun, there was Free Halloween Printables, some pumpkin carving, yummy candy apples, and disgusting dirt & worm parfaits… now that sounds like a Halloween party to me!
My last post for Halloween Week is, yes, another recipe, and it’s actually one of my favourites. Not because it’s easy, and not because it uses 4 ingredients, but because it tastes pretty damn good. End of discussion.
The first time I ever had meringue cookies was about 15 years ago. My Aunt made them for Easter, and gave them to all the kids. They were meringue nests to be exact… to me, they were pretty much sugar crack. I loved them at first bite. I would look forward to receiving these meringue nests every Easter… for the next 8 years…
About 3 years ago, my Aunt finally let me in on her little secret… “What!!?” I screamed. “It’s literally egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, and vanilla? What!?” I couldn’t believe my ears. I had all these ingredients in my house the entire time, and I would wait a whole year to receive her “crack” nest… sheeshhh! I’ve been making them ever since.
Anyways, my point is these are easy, and you can customize them to any occasion… Ghosts instantly came to mind when I thought of Halloween… Not exactly scary, but kind of cute!
Cream of Tartar
1. Separate egg white from yolks, or do it the easy way and buy a carton of egg whites.
2. Beat egg whites with hand mixer until frothy. Mix in cream of tartar, this will keep the cookies softer. If you like them hard as a rock then leave it out.
3. Slowly add the sugar, beating as you go, until egg whites are glossy and stiff peaks start to form.
4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spoon or pipe onto a cookie sheet.
5. Bake in 200C oven for 1-1.5 hours or until they no longer stick to the parchment paper and are crispy on the outside. Cool.
6. Use melted chocolate to adhear the chocolate chip “eyes” to the meringues. Instant ghost!
So ladies & gentleman, it is Friday! What are you big plans for Halloween Weekend? Parties? Movies? Staying in?