Korean Rice Bowl with Kimchi
Do you remember the first time you fell in love with a new food? In my many years I have lusted over a caprese salad, been haunted by a lobster roll, and craved bread pudding to no end.
This time… it’s Kimchi.
As food adventitious as I am, it wasn’t until recently that I tried kimchi. And it was gooood. Boy was it good. The tangy fermented cabbage with a slightly spicy kick had me at first bite. And so started the flood of recipe ideas… kimchi dogs, kimchi poutine, kimchi noodle bowl, kimchi burger… so many delicious ways to use this new food!
So I searched for it. And searched for it. AND searched for it…. For 3 months I searched for it. I went to major supermarket chains. I went to small specialty shops. I even looked online. It was no where to be found!
Imagine the look of sheer surprise and excitement on my face when I walked into my local Real Canadian Superstore last week and found kimchi in the organic section! Finally! All my kimchi dreams were about to come true!
I didn’t even think twice about what dish I was going to make with my new-found ingredient… a Korean Rice Bowl. What I love about rice bowls is that they are so easy, customizable and fast; perfect for a busy weeknight. Using Minute Rice for the base of this dish makes for quick meal prep. The rice cooks in minutes, allowing you to focus on the meat, veggies and… kimchi!Print
Korean Rice Bowl with Kimchi
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
A simple bed of rice is topped with meat, veggies, kimchi and a fried egg… and I’m not sure how it get’s much better than that!
- 2 mini cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp chili sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 2 cups Original Minute Rice, cooked
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 4 eggs, fried over-easy
- 1 cup kimchi
- To make the quick pickles: in a small pot add sliced cucumber, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, sauté portabella mushrooms until browned, approximately 4-6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan add chopped kale and sauté 3-4 minutes until wilted. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, ginger, garlic, chili sauce, and brown sugar. To the same frying pan add the pork and cook 3-4 minutes until starting to brown. Add sauce and continue to cook 3-4 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- While meat cooks prepare Minute Rice as per instructions on package.
- Divide ingredients among four bowls: rice, pork, mushrooms, kale, pickles, carrot, green onions, egg and kimchi. Serve warm.
Keywords: Korean Rice Bowl with Kimchi, Pork Bowl with Kimchi
Looking for more easy weeknight recipes? Check out all my #WeekdayWin recipes here.
Disclosure: This post was in partnership with Minute Rice Canada. As always, all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
Clearly you have to make this for me next time I come over! mmmmm kimchi!