You know those last ditch attempts to hold on to summer? This is one of them. And while this past weekend felt like it could have been the middle of summer, I was forced to face the harsh reality that Fall is coming.
There is something comforting about having the summers last “official” BBQ. It’s like a goodbye party; the departee is celebrated one last time while everyone struggles comes to terms with the departure. And since burgers are my meal of choice during the summer months, it seemed fitting to close out summer the way it began – by enjoying a big, juicy, beef & mushroom burger!
Blue Cheese Mushroom Blended Burger
Meaty crimini mushrooms are finely chopped in a food processor, quickly sauteed to release all the flavours, and then combined with lean ground beef to make a BIG burger that doesn’t skimp on flavour! The addition of blue cheese takes this umami burger to the top!
1 lb. fresh crimini mushrooms, finely chopped and cooked
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1 large egg
1/2 tsp dehydrated minced garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dehydrated minced onion
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes
Crumbled blue cheese (optional)
1. In a food processor, finely chop mushrooms.
2. In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, cook chopped mushrooms until most of the moisture has been evaporated, approximately 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl combine cooled mushrooms, beef, breadcrumbs, egg, and spices. Using your hands mix until incorporated.
4. Form into patties, and cook either on the barbecue or on the stove-top until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Place burger patty on buns and top crumbled blue cheese, and any other toppings you desire. Serve hot!
How are you saying goodbye to summer?