When I was little, weekends at my dad’s house meant a few things… walks to the corner store, travels to the cottage, chores like washing dishes and cleaning our room, and of course my favourite, French Toast.
I can vividly remember cracking eggs into a big pink mixing bowl, pouring in the milk, loading it up with cinnamon, and whisking away before dipping in slices of white bread. We’d all gather at the dining room table, drench our French toast slices in syrup, and dig in!
While I still appreciate the simpler French toast from my childhood, I am always looking for ways to elevate classic recipes… and this Crispy French Toast with Brown Sugar Bananas, Coconut & Whipped Cream is a prime example of a classic that’s been taken up a notch!
Thick buttery brioche is drenched in a fragrantly spiced egg mixture before being coated in crispy corn flakes and pan fried in butter! It’s then topped with brown sugar bananas, a generous sprinkling of shredded coconut, and a dollop (or two) of coconut whipped cream! I mean, try to resist this!!
If I am being honest, the ONE ingredient that truly enhances this Sunday morning treat is Conestoga Farms brown Free-Run Omega 3 eggs! There’s nothing more satisfying than cracking open these eggs and discovering a deep, rich yellow yolk that is packed with protein, Vitamins A, D, E, B12, Iron, Folate, Selenium, and Choline. Conestoga Farms Free-Run Omega 3 Eggs also contain 0.4g of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and 1mg of lutein, making them an excellent choice if you are trying to include omega3 in your daily diet.
Supporting local farmers, products, and brands has always been at the core of my shopping decisions, which is why I started Love Local Food. Conestoga Farms eggs are certified local by Foodland Ontario, so I know I am buying a wholesome, safe, and local food that is produced by proud, hardworking farmers and their families – because local matters!
If there’s one thing I can’t wait to do with little Emily, it’s cook. And you better believe I will be teaching her how to make this French toast, just like my dad taught me!Print
Beautifully buttery brioche bread is dipped in an egg mixture featuring Conestoga Farms Free-Run Omega 3 Eggs before being crusted in crushed Corn Flakes. Frying in a cast iron pan with butter will help give this French toast a nice crispy coating.
Crispy French Toast
1/2 cup Corn Flakes, crushed
5 Conestoga Farms Free-Run Omega 3 eggs
1/8 cup milk
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp each ground allspice, ginger, nutmeg, cloves
8-10 slices brioche bread
4 tbsp butter
Brown Sugar Bananas
4 large, ripe bananas, sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp shredded coconut
Coconut whipped cream
Ontario maple syrup
Crispy French Toast
- Pour Corn Flakes into a shallow bowl and using the bottom of a glass, gently crush flakes until they reach your desired consistency. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl whisk together Conestoga Farms Free-Run Omega 3 eggs, milk, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Allow each slice of brioche to soak in mixture for 10 seconds on each side. Transfer each slice of egg-soaked brioche to bowl with crushed corn flakes, pressing each side gently into the flakes.
- In a large cast iron pan (or non-stick frying pan) over medium-high heat, melt 1 tbsp of butter. Working in batches of two, cook French toast 3-4 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned and crispy. Repeat with remaining butter until no more toasts remain.
- Remove from pan and top with brown sugar bananas, 1/2 tbsp shredded coconut, coconut whipped cream, and a generous pour of Ontario maple syrup.
Brown Sugar Bananas
- To a large non-stick frying pan, over medium heat, add brown sugar and water. Swirl until sugar starts to dissolve and bubble.
- In a single layer, add sliced bananas. Continue to cook, swirling pan so bananas don’t stick and sugar doesn’t burn, for 1-2 minutes. Gently flip each slice of banana and continue to cook for another minute. Remove from heat.
- Divide brown sugar bananas between the 4-5 plates of French toast. Enjoy!
- Try using French bread instead of brioche for a different flavour profile.
Keywords: French Toast, Crispy French Toast
I’ve partnered with Conestoga Farms for this blog post. And while they did provide me with compensation for the recipe, I truly support their efforts to produce wholesome, premium, and healthy Ontario eggs.