This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Dairy Farmers of Canada. All opinions are 100% mine
This my friends, is heaven in a bowl. Like, faceplant, died, and went to heaven.
Yup. That’s all you need to know. I feel like I could just end this blog post with that statement and be completely satisfied that I told the entire story of this deliciously creamy, oh-so-flavourful Mac and Cheese. But I won’t, because quite frankly, if you aren’t going to run out to the grocery store and buy every single ingredient to make this dish, RIGHT NOW, then I need to tell you how tasty it is! I need to tell you the cream sauce is the perfect consistency and coats the cavatappi noodles beautifully. I need to tell you the mixture of shiitake and crimini mushrooms adds a marvelous boost of umami that makes your taste buds sing at first bite. I NEEEEED to tell you to run out to the grocery store and buy every single ingredient to make this dish, RIGHT NOW. You won’t regret it!
So what makes this mac and cheese soooo different from every other mac and cheese on the internet? The cheese. Sure you can go ahead and use any ol’ cheese you have in your fridge, but don’t be surprised when it doesn’t turn out to be heaven in a bowl… just saying. What elevates this recipe from earth to heaven is the inclusion of Bothwell Cheese’s Black Truffle Monterey Jack. There, the secret’s out!
If you’ve never tried this glorious Canadian cheese, put it on your list. Italian black summer truffles are blended throughout this semi-soft cheese creating an earthy, complex flavour with a rich and smooth finish. Bothwell Cheese uses no artificial ingredients, preservatives or modified milk ingredients in the production of its cheese. Only 100% hormone free milk, sourced from local Canadian dairy farmers, which ensures quality and freshness! Best of all, this world-class cheese is made right here in Canada, New Bothwell, Manitoba to be exact!
Now, I don’t take the words “best-ever” very lightly. A lot of criteria must be met in my mind for something to hold the coveted “best-ever” title. So, when I say best-ever black truffle mac and cheese, I mean it!
Italian black summer truffles are blended throughout Bothwell’s semi-soft cheese creating an earthy, complex flavour with a rich and smooth finish. It’s the perfect addition to this warm and inviting Mac & Cheese recipe!
1 package (170g) Bothwell Cheese Black Truffle Cheese, grated
1 (450g) package cavatappi pasta, cooked until al dente
1 tbsp olive oil
8 oz crimini and shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 small shallot, diced
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1 cup 1% milk
1 cup 5% cream
1/2 cup old cheddar cheese, grated
Salt & Pepper
Garnishes: fresh cooked bacon bits and fresh thyme
1. Cook pasta as per package directions, or until al dente. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, add oil and mushroom. Sauté until mushrooms are caramelized and most of their liquid has been released, about 5-7 minutes. Add shallot and cook just until translucent, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in butter until melted. Slowly sprinkle in flour. Mixture might be crumbly and dry or slightly paste-like depending on how much moisture was left in the mushrooms. Slowly pour in milk, constantly whisking until combined. Add cream and whisk until mixture comes to a boil and starts to thicken, about 6-8 minutes.
4. Add cooked pasta to the pot with the cream sauce. Toss to coat. Stir in cheese one handful at a time until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve topped with a sprinkle of crispy, cooked bacon and a garnish of thyme.
Keywords: Mac and Cheese, Macaroni and Cheese, Truffle Mac & Cheese,
Looking for More Cheesy Inspiration?
You don’t need to scour the internet or travel the world to find the best cheese! Every month I’ll be working with the Dairy Farmers of Canada to highlight a brand new #CanadianCheese! Check out all my cheese recipes and posts here!