There is nothing like a local peach. I wait all year for these… tender, juicy and perfectly ripe. “J” picked these up at a local farm last week and there was nothing he could do to stop me from making a peach crumble.
How to Peel a Peach
- Use only the freshest, ripest peaches.
- With a sharp knife, cut an X in the bottom of the peach.
- Place peaches in a large pot of boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute, just to loosen the skin.
- Using a spoon, transfer blanched peaches to a bowl of ice water. Leave them to cool, approx 1 minute.
- Remove from water, and starting at the corner of the X, peel the skin away. It should come off easily. Your peaches are now ready for your dessert.
Delicious & Simple Peach Crumble
4 large ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup of rolled oats
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Peel peaches using directions above.
3. Slice and layer peaches on bottom of greased baking dish.
4. Melt butter in microwave, mix in sugar, oats, nutmeg and cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture over peaches.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until peaches are tender and crumble is golden brown. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
What is your favourite in-season fruit?