Move over chicken noodle soup, there’s a new bowl of deliciousness in town! This Creamy Tuscan Chicken Soup sure hits the spot on a cold winter night, when the wind is blowing and it won’t stop snowing. The chicken is perfectly poached in a creamy broth that is flavoured with Italian seasonings and sundried tomatoes. Top it off with a sprinkle of Parm and serve with a buttered crusty roll or bread.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper, dried oregano, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 L sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups frozen kale
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup navy beans
- 1 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
- Garnish: grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and cook until they start to turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add sundried tomatoes and cook another minute.
- Add in spices/seasonings and flour, stirring constantly for 30 seconds, or until seasoning is evenly dispersed.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth, constantly stirring so flour does not clump. Add in water. Bring mixture to a boil. Gently lower in whole chicken breasts, ensuring there is enough liquid to cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and a meat thermometer reads 165F.
- Remove chicken breasts to a cutting board. Using two forks, gently shred the chicken. Return chicken to pot.
- Increase heat to medium. Pour in heavy cream, kale, beans and pesto. Simmer another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with buttered crusty bread or a side salad, garnished with grated Parmesan cheese.
Keywords: Tuscan Soup, Chicken Soup, 30 Minute Soups