With the holidays fast approaching, you might be looking for an impressive, yet small scale recipe for your household-only gathering. Well, this recipe is it; festive, fast and family-friendly! The sweet cinnamon apple stuffing, encased in savoury Ontario veal, warms the palate while the bright and tart pomegranate glaze wakes up your senses. Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans for a complete holiday or weeknight meal.
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup red apple, peeled and chopped
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 tbsp fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3 cups unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 lb veal tenderloin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Garnish: 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup pomegranate concentrate
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- In a medium pot, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium high heat; sauté onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add apple and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add sage, cinnamon and remaining butter. Stir until butter is melted. Add beef broth and heat just until boiling. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, add stuffing croutons, parsley and salt and pepper. Pour in broth mixture and gently toss with tongs or your hands until all breadcrumbs have absorbed liquid. Set aside.
- Cut tenderloins almost in half lengthwise, so it opens like a book; pound to flatten slightly. Spread and lightly pack stuffing down the centre, leaving 1” border from the edges. Fold long edges over stuffing overlapping as necessary, and fold in the narrow end; secure with skewers or string.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat, sear all sides of tenderloin, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to baking pan and place in 400ºF (200ºC) oven; roast for 30-35 minutes or until instant-read thermometer reads 155ºF (75ºC).
- In the meantime, prepare the glaze. Combine all ingredients in a small pot and simmer gently over low, stirring frequently. When ready to serve, remove garlic cloves and rosemary.
- Remove tenderloin from oven and let stand covered with foil for 5-10 minutes. Remove skewers or string, slice and serve fanned out on serving plates. Drizzle with pomegranate glaze and garnish with seeds.
Keywords: Stuffed Veal Tenderloin, Veal, Ontario Veal, Tenderloin