This soup is truly comfort in a bowl! Fresh zucchini, spinach, orzo pasta and mild Italian meatballs are simmered in a flavourful broth and then topped with umami-rich Parmesan cheese!
- 1 lb ground mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp each garlic powder, onion salt, Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a medium bowl, mix together sausage, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, onion salt, and Italian seasoning. Using your hands, roll sausage into balls about 1-inch in diameter. Set aside in fridge until ready to use.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add shallot and saute 2-3 minutes, just until soft. Add zucchini and saute 2-3 minutes, just until softened. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- To the pot add chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and stir in orzo pasta. Gently pour in sausage meatballs. Cook over medium heat until meatballs are cooked through, about 15 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach and pesto. Stir until spinach is wilted.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve topped with a generous sprinkle of grate Parmesan cheese.
Keywords: One pot meatball soup, Italian meatball soup, easy orzo soup