The vibrant flavours of spring-time shine through in this homemade quiche! The flaky, buttery crust is complemented perfectly by the smoked salmon & bright asparagus. The subtle saltiness from the capers and the spice from the Dijon adds balance to the rich eggs. This quiche is an excellent option for brunch as it can be prepared the day before and reheated.
- 1 frozen premade pie crust, thawed or Cheddar Quiche Pastry
- 1 cup milk
- 4 large Canadian eggs
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 cup asparagus, blanched, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 125 g smoked salmon, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp capers, chopped
- Garnish: Micro-greens or chopped chives
Cheddar Quiche Pastry
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) butter, frozen, grated
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6–9 tbsp ice water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a medium bowl whisk together milk, eggs, Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper.
3. To the pie crust, layer in asparagus, salmon, Swiss cheese, dill, and capers. Pour the egg mixture over ingredients in crust. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the middle is set. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, and sprinkle with chopped chives and micro-greens, if using.
Cheddar Quiche Pastry:
1. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Add grated butter and cheese. Mix using a fork until butter and cheese is evenly distributed. Sprinkle in water 1 tbsp at a time until dough starts to come together. Dough will be ragged and will hold together when pressed. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 2-3 times. Shape dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Spray a 9-inch pie pan with non-stick spray. Line pie plate with dough, trim off excess or crimp edges for a more decorative look. Line pastry with foil and fill it with pie weighs or dried beans. Blind bake crust for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Carefully remove the weights and foil and allow to cool 5-10 minutes before using in quiche recipe above.
Keywords: Smoked Salmon Quiche, Salmon Quiche, Brunch Quiche